Sunday, October 28, 2012

Projects!

Hey Everyone...It's been a while since I wrote, and some projects are beginning to form, so I wanted to give you the update:


  • With the help of the local municipality, we've started an artisans group that meets every Monday afternoon. We have about 25 women (with more wanting to join) and they are working in knitting, crochet, recycled products, and other types of textiles I don't know how to say in English :) I am really excited to see where this could go, and with the support of the municipality we are better off than on our own.
  • Had a presentation on Wednesday with the Chamber of Commerce I'm working with here that was started by a past business volunteer. Getting people to participate can  be super challenging, so we weren't expecting much. But about 35 people came out, many being small business owners. Most said they were interested in joining us, so I hope the momentum continues and we are able to function as an active group (up until now we have just been looking to find more members).
  • Had the first meeting of the Community Bank I'm starting with a women's group in a rural area about 1.5 hrs walk from where I live. After some mis-communication/uncertainty and a lot of patience while it got worked out, we got started and the women put their first shares into the bank. It must be weird/uncomfortable to them to "give their money away" - or at least feel like they are, but some of the ladies helped me reassure the rest of the group that the money is staying within their group so they can save and take loans out, and that the interest will be shared between the group. I hope to take the President to the training we have in January since we need to bring a "socio" or community partner...we'll see!
  • Last night was my brother and his fiance's engagement party, and I had sent them a video of congrats and another video I made with my English class where I taught them how to say "Congratulations Jason and Kristen" ...they showed them on the big screen and they were a big hit! I got to talk to a bunch of family/friends at the party as well, which made me feel a part of it :)
Ok I'm gonna run...English class in less than an hour! But I have internet in my house now, so I will be more accessible...BIG praise! Miss you all and feel free to reach out!
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment