Friday, July 4, 2014

With Days to Go...

Hi Folks!
Coming back to the drawing board after several months to share some final reflections. Where to start...

I recently had the privelege of spending a week in our training center outside Lima back where it all began. It was such an amazing time with my first host family, who supported me in the tough times and continue to support me today. I was "volunteer of the week," coming to help train the volunteers who recently arrived, share some of my experiences and answer their questions. I was surprized at how vastly different I felt from when I was there 2 years ago. I have become so comfortable with this culture and the ins and outs of volunteer life that I had forgotten a bit how it felt to be a brand new trainee in a foreign country trying to make sense of it all. It was a good reminder of how much natural progression can happen and how much one can grow from adapting to a new environment- language, culture, customs, communication style, food, and the list goes on.

Back here in site, I am wrapping things up. Presented my final report to the community, started giving my clothes away, and the goodbye parties and the "No te vayas" (don't go's) are in full swing. I can't believe how much different I feel about this place now than when I first arrived here 2 years ago. A part of me truly does want to stay a bit longer because the people here are so warm and loving. But I am more than satisfied with my experience here. I have learned, grown, and changed so much and been able to contribute to some pretty cool things. So now I am ready to move on and see friends and family. A part of my heart will always stay in this tiny mountain town in the Andes of Peru. I thank God for this amazing opportunity and trust Him to lead me in the next steps.

Here are some pictures from recent events:

The Cajamarca 19 group at our close of service conference in Lima

Me and my host brother Leo at the high school's 50th anniversary celebrations

The whole gang at a women's training in a rural church

Me and the artisan ladies celebrating 1 year of being a formal association!

That's all for now, folks. Thanks for being faithful readers, and hope to see you in person soon!

1 comment: